Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Horizons
Do you need to compare the textbook programs offered by Bob Jones University Press to the Horizons program from Alpha Omega Publications? You're in the right spot. Find a short overview of each curriculum and service below, an easy-to-view comparison chart, and additional comparison options!
Bob Jones University Press Textbooks
Bob Jones University Press, an in-house curriculum publisher, provides K4-12th grade Christian curriculum and educational materials to Christian schools and homeschoolers. The BJU Press curriculum was designed for use in a Christian classroom setting and as such, tends to be teacher-intensive and often less friendly in a homeschool situation. The BJU Press textbook option is a teacher-driven, structured approach which requires homeschool parents to teach all coursework. Parents are also responsible for all administrative tasks, including lesson planning, grading, record-keeping, and reporting. Bob Jones University Press teacher's guides provide many useful teaching ideas and resources but tend to be better suited for use in a classroom and may include activities that are difficult to adapt to homeschool situations.
Written from a Christian worldview, all BJU Press text-based coursework is completely Bible-based. All science instruction is based on a biblical view of creation and the origin of life. Bob Jones University Press courses include Bible, reading, history, mathematics, science, health, English, music, and foreign language. Coursework can be purchased in complete grade level kits or as subject kits. Kits provide all essential materials for students and teachers. Additional optional resources can be purchased separately.
Finding Your Approach to Homeschooling
If you're considering a print-based approach to homeschooling, remember that there is no one perfect homeschool curriculum. A blended approach to homeschooling allows parents the flexibility of using multiple resources instead of one set curriculum. Instead of feeling torn between different curricula, parents should be open to mixing and matching materials and resources to customize their child's education. Remember, each child has his own learning style, so it's important to choose materials that best fit his needs.
Horizons from Alpha Omega Publications
Horizons is a preK-12 print-based curriculum offered by Alpha Omega Publications, a Christian-based publisher that provides curriculum and educational services to homeschool families. Filled with engaging, full-color illustrations, Horizons is a child-friendly workbook-based curriculum with consumable lessons and hands-on activities. Horizons curriculum encourages concept mastery through a spiral-based learning process of skill/concept presentation, review, and reinforcement. Teacher's guides offer clear, step-by-step lesson plans and activities that are suitable for both homeschool and classroom settings.
Winner of Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum, Horizons integrates Scripture and Christian living throughout all subjects. Horizons workbooks provide removable student pages for ease of student use. Horizons curriculum includes courses in math (K-8), penmanship (1-6), health (K-8), physical education (PreK-12), phonics and reading (K-3), and spelling and vocabulary (1-3). Health and physical education electives were designed for classroom use and may need to be adapted to homeschool use. Complete Horizons Preschool Curriculum Sets and Multimedia Sets are also available. Horizons curriculum sets include all student and teacher materials. Student and teacher materials can also be purchased separately.
Benefits and Features of Horizons from Alpha Omega Publications
- brightly illustrated, hands-on, consumable curriculum
- offers fun lessons and manipulative-based activities
- teaches concepts through a spiral learning process
- encourages concept mastery through quick concept introduction, review, and reinforcement
Take a Closer Look at Bob Jones University Press Textbook and Horizons
|Offerings||Horizons||BJU Press Textbooks|
|PreK-12 curriculum options|
|Core subjects and electives available|
|Instruction provided by parents|
|Readiness tests available|
|Material designed for homeschoolers|
|Cost||Horizons||BJU Press Textbooks|
|Average subject cost per grade level**||$81.95||$148|
What Other Parents Are Saying:
"My husband and I thought we were all set to start teaching our preschool son in August, but then I found the Horizons Preschool program. I thought it looked interesting, so I ordered the first teacher's guide just to see what all was there. I was so blown away by what I was reading in the teacher's guide that I had to switch. Now, I am ordering a whole new curriculum and starting from scratch. This program is exactly what my son needs to get him ready for kindergarten. We are sticking with Horizons Preschool for sure! Thank you!"
Heather S., Michigan
"Horizons is the only curriculum that I don't feel I need to question each year. I started using something else for my son in kindergarten and then switched to Horizons in 1st grade. Since then, I have used it consistently and know it is thorough. It's simple for me to teach, and I have been very happy with it. I started my five-year-old daughter on it this year, and she loves it!"
Joy J., South Carolina
"Horizons is my favorite homeschool resource. It is well written for the teacher and the student. My daughter is doing so well, and she enjoys the colorful, diverse presentation that keeps her favorite subject (math) interesting."
Trish M., United States
"We switched to Horizons for a more structured phonics base and my daughter's reading skills have improved substantially. I just wish we had started sooner!"
Monique W., California
"We really enjoyed Horizons Phonics and Reading for second grade last school year. We were so excited to use this after using Horizons for kindergarten and first grade. I was very impressed with the lessons and stories. I also have used Horizons Math for both of my children. One is gifted and one has special needs. The spiraled curriculum with constant review and reinforcement has worked better than any other curriculum we have tried."
Charlene M., Pennsylvania
Compare Offerings: Bob Jones University Press versus Alpha Omega Publications
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
*BJU Press® is the registered trademark and subsidiary of Bob Jones University®. Alpha Omega Publications is not in any way affiliated with Bob Jones University Press or its trademark owner Bob Jones University. Alpha Omega Publications' purpose with this page is to provide information to families who are considering the different aspects of homeschooling curricula or who wish to compare the benefits of using both curricula. Alpha Omega Publications' products and services are not endorsed or sponsored by BJU Press.
Note: Information in this chart was gathered in June 2014 and was obtained from company websites, catalogs, research of rating companies, and publicly filed information. Comparison categories do not encompass entire curriculum features and benefits and may not apply to all situations.
**Prices obtained June 2014 from BJU Press Total Homeschool Solutions and BJU websites and from Alpha Omega Publications 2014 Homeschool Catalog. Individual subject prices are based on comparison between Horizons 3rd Grade Math Set (including all student and teacher material, along with supplements) and BJU Press 3rd Grade Math Subject Kit. Costs do not reflect any additional fees or shipping and handling charges. Prices for other Bob Jones University Press and Alpha Omega Publications curricula and services can be found on individual comparison pages. All prices are subject to change.