Bob Jones University Press vs. Alpha Omega Publications
Thinking about homeschooling with Bob Jones University Press? Wondering what the differences are between Bob Jones and Alpha Omega Publications? You're in the right place. Many parents just like you are also searching for a homeschool curriculum and teaching approach that best fits their child's academic needs. With so many homeschooling options, resources, and curricula to choose from, selecting homeschool materials for your child can often be a daunting task, but we're here to help!
Bob Jones University Press' Approach
Bob Jones University Press is a popular publisher of Christian-based nursery-12th grade curriculum materials. Bob Jones offers several curricula and service options for homeschoolers. These options include an independent traditional textbook option for K-12th graders as well as several different distance learning options. Course instruction can be provided by the homeschool parent or via recorded instruction delivered via DVD, computer hard drive, or online. Any of these delivery methods can be used in conjunction with enrollment with the Academy of Home Education. None of the BJUP programs are accredited.
One of BJUP's strengths is the ability to produce a structured school-at-home approach. Because Bob Jones materials were developed for use in a classroom setting, they draw on the experience of classroom teachers as the foundation for their curriculum offerings. However, this classroom approach can also result in making the homeschooling process more teacher-intensive and less friendly to the homeschool parent. In addition, Bob Jones' structured approach means the curriculum is not easily customized according to student academic needs or individualized according to specific learning styles.
Finding Your Approach to Homeschooling
Most parents discover that their child's educational needs are best met by blending several different homeschool curriculums and teaching approaches. Because there is no one perfect homeschool curriculum, a blended approach to homeschooling allows parents the flexibility of using multiple resources instead of one set curriculum. Instead of feeling torn between curricula, parents should be open to mixing and matching materials and resources to customize their child's education. Remember, each child has his own learning style, so it's important to choose materials that best fit his needs.
Curriculum from Alpha Omega Publications
Alpha Omega Publications is a Christian-based, PreK-12 publisher that provides engaging, interactive curriculum and educational services to homeschool families. Offering proven, easy-to-teach homeschool curriculum, AOP offers four main curriculum offerings: Internet-based Monarch (3-12), computer-based Switched-On Schoolhouse (3-12), worktext-based LIFEPAC (K-12), and workbook-based Horizons (PreK-12). Main core subjects offered include Bible, language arts, math, science, and history and geography, along with various electives. AOP also offers Alpha Omega Academy, a distance learning academy for grades K-12. Understanding that each child learns differently, AOP offers diverse curricula and services in different formats to fit multiple learning styles, ensuring you can find what fits your child's needs.
Benefits and Features of Alpha Omega Publications' Curriculum
- online interactive lessons with anytime, anywhere access
- compatible with both Windows® and Mac® operating systems
- offers customizable student learning options and time-saving teaching tools
- features dynamic, media-rich lessons; real-time content updates; and data storage
- interactive, innovative, computer-based curriculum
- offers flexible, engaging learning environment
- contains multimedia tools, educational games, and automatic grading options
- can reduce teacher planning and grading by 20 hours per week
- full-color, print-based curriculum
- offers progressive, self-paced individual unit worktexts
- promotes concept mastery and cognitive reasoning skills
- encourages academic independence in your children
- brightly illustrated, hands-on, consumable curriculum
- offers fun lessons and manipulative-based activities
- teaches concepts through a spiral learning process
- encourages concept mastery through quick concept introduction, review, and reinforcement
Take a Closer Look at BJUP and Alpha Omega Publications
|Offerings||Alpha Omega Publications||Bob Jones University Press|
|PreK-12 curriculum options|
|Core subjects and electives available|
|Flexible and individualized curriculum|
|Placement tests available|
|Automatic curriculum updates available|
|Automatic grading and lesson planning available|
|Appeals to students with multiple learning styles|
|Cost||Alpha Omega Publications||Bob Jones University Press|
|Average yearly cost per grade level**||$449.95 for Monarch||$1099|
|Average subject cost per grade level**||$99.95 for Monarch||$349|
What Other Parents Are Saying:
For the first time in the two years I have been homeschooling our three boys, I feel a complete peace and excitement for the school year to come. As many homeschoolers do, I have researched and tried many of the homeschooling products available. Indeed, the choices are endless. However, I have finally found a curriculum with AOP that fits our family's values, goals, learning styles, and lifestyle. Thank you for offering quality products at such an affordable price!
Brenda S., New Mexico
How wonderful you are for providing us with everything we need to give our children a wonderful Christian-based education. Since I discovered AOP, nothing I used before you compared. I am even able to homeschool my youngest son successfully, despite the fact that he has Asperger's syndrome. Thank you so much for the love and dedication you show to all of God's children.
Lynne B., Missouri
This was our first year of homeschooling. Our son just finished the fifth grade, and I want to say thanks to Alpha Omega Publications for being part of this wonderful year and for providing the great curriculum that equipped us with the tools we needed. What an adventure! God has blessed us richly through your company. Thanks so much.
Michele T., Arizona
I have been homeschooling for seven years and have used curriculum from AOP every year. I started with it when my two older children were in preschool and kindergarten. I am now homeschooling four children. It is so nice to know that AOP is there with so many great products to make my life easier as a homeschooler! Thanks, AOP!
Angela O., Minnesota
Compare Offerings: Bob Jones University Press versus Alpha Omega Publications
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Textbooks vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press (DVD) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Hard Drive) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Distance Learning Online) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Monarch
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Horizons
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. LIFEPAC
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- Bob Jones University Press Academy (Academy of Home Education) vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
*BJU Press® is the registered trademark and subsidiary of Bob Jones University®. Alpha Omega Publications is not in any way affiliated with Bob Jones University Press or its trademark owner Bob Jones University. Alpha Omega Publications' purpose with this page is to provide information to families who are considering the different aspects of homeschooling curricula or who wish to compare the benefits of using both curricula. Alpha Omega Publications' products and services are not endorsed or sponsored by BJU Press.
Note: Information in this chart was gathered in June 2014 and was obtained from company websites, catalogs, research of rating companies, and publicly filed information. Comparison categories do not encompass entire curriculum features and benefits and may not apply to all situations.
**Prices obtained June 2014 from BJU Press Total Homeschool Solutions and BJUP websites and from Alpha Omega Publications 2014 Homeschool Catalog. Yearly prices based on comparison between Monarch 3rd Grade 5-Subject Set and Bob Jones University Press DVD program pricing for full year of curriculum (textbooks included). Individual subject prices based on comparison between Monarch 3rd Grade Math (including all student and teacher material) and Bob Jones University Press Math 3 DVD with Books for a full year. Costs do not reflect any additional fees or shipping and handling charges. Prices for other Bob Jones University Press and Alpha Omega Publications curricula and services can be found on individual comparison pages. All prices are subject to change.