2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. applesauce
1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine (softened)
1. Preheat oven to 375º and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg thoroughly in a medium bowl.
3. Blend butter and sugar together. Then, add eggs and beat together until smooth. Add vanilla and stir in apples (Jonathan, Pink Lady, Rome, McIntosh, and Cameo varieties are best). Next, slowly blend in the above flour mixture, only stirring until wet and dry mixtures are just combined. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each space 3/4 full.
4. Mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon together for the topping in a separate bowl. Use a fork to cut in butter until mixture becomes like coarse crumbs. Carefully sprinkle topping mixture over the muffins.
5. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a muffin. Allow muffins to cool five minutes. Then, remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 regular muffins or six Texas-style muffins.