K12 Consumer Direct vs. Alpha Omega Publications
Thinking about homeschooling with K12 Consumer Direct? Wondering what the differences are between K12 and Alpha Omega Publications? You're in the right place. Many parents just like you are also searching for a homeschool curriculum and teaching approach that best fits their child's academic needs. With so many homeschooling options, resources, and curricula to choose from, selecting homeschool materials for your child can often be a daunting task, but we're here to help!
K12 is a large secular provider of kindergarten through 12th grade online curriculum and is currently being used in virtual public and private schools, an international online academy, as well as in homeschools worldwide. Because K12 is a secular curriculum provider, parents from various faiths and cultural backgrounds may find K12 very appropriate for their families' homeschool needs. K12 offers curriculum to homeschoolers via Consumer Direct purchase. Families who purchase the K12 courses directly are not officially enrolled in a K12 school. Teacher supported options and independent options are available for direct purchase. Both options provide all the essential tools needed to provide children with a quality education at home.
The K12 curriculum covers six core subjects: language arts/English, math, science, history, art, and music and is based on time-tested and research-based methods of instruction. K12 delivers lessons, progress and planning tools, teacher's guides, assessments, and learning aids over the Internet. Required supplemental learning materials, such as books, workbooks, CDs, and videos are not included in course tuition and must be purchased separately. Purchase of consumer direct courses does not include graduation or diploma services.
Finding Your Approach to Homeschooling
Most parents discover that their child's educational needs are best met by blending several different homeschool curriculums and teaching approaches. Because there is no one perfect homeschool curriculum, a blended approach to homeschooling allows parents the flexibility of using multiple resources instead of one set curriculum. Rather than feeling torn between curricula, parents should be open to mixing and matching materials and resources to customize their child's education. Remember, each child has his own learning style, so it's important to choose materials that best fit his needs.
Curriculum from Alpha Omega Publications
Alpha Omega Publications is a Christian-based, PreK-12 publisher that provides engaging, interactive curriculum and educational services to homeschool families. Offering proven, easy-to-teach homeschool curriculum, AOP offers four main curriculum offerings: Internet-based Monarch (3-12), computer-based Switched-On Schoolhouse (3-12), worktext-based LIFEPAC (K-12), and workbook-based Horizons (PreK-12). Main core subjects offered include Bible, language arts, math, science, and history and geography, along with various electives. AOP also offers Alpha Omega Academy, a distance learning academy for grades K-12. Understanding that each child learns differently, AOP offers diverse curriculum and services in different formats to fit multiple learning styles, ensuring you can find what fits your child's needs.
Benefits and Features of Alpha Omega Publications' Curriculum
- online interactive lessons with anytime, anywhere access
- compatible with both Windows® and Mac® operating systems
- offers customizable student learning options and time-saving teaching tools
- features dynamic, media-rich lessons; real-time content updates; and data storage
- interactive, computer-based curriculum
- offers a flexible, engaging learning environment
- contains multimedia tools, educational games, and automatic grading options
- can reduce teacher planning and grading by 20 hours per week
- full-color, print-based curriculum
- offers progressive, self-paced individual unit worktexts
- promotes concept mastery and cognitive reasoning skills
- encourages academic independence in your children
- brightly illustrated, hands-on, consumable curriculum
- offers fun lessons and manipulative-based activities
- teaches concepts through a spiral learning process
- encourages concept mastery through quick concept introduction, review, and reinforcement
Take a Closer Look at A Beka and Alpha Omega Publications
|Offerings||Alpha Omega Publications||K12|
|PreK-12 curriculum options|
|Core subjects and electives available|
|Placement tests available|
|Cost||Alpha Omega Publications||K12|
|Average yearly cost per grade level**||$449.95 for Monarch||$1139|
|Average subject cost per grade level**||$99.95 for Monarch||$253|
What Other Parents Are Saying:
"For the first time in the two years I have been homeschooling our three boys, I feel a complete peace and excitement for the school year to come. As many homeschoolers do, I have researched and tried many of the homeschooling products available. Indeed, the choices are endless. However, I have finally found a curriculum with AOP that fits our family's values, goals, learning styles, and lifestyle. Thank you for offering quality products at such an affordable price!"
Brenda S., New Mexico
"How wonderful you are for providing us with everything we need to give our children a wonderful Christian-based education. Since I discovered AOP, nothing I used before you compared. I am even able to homeschool my youngest son successfully, despite the fact that he has Asperger's syndrome. Thank you so much for the love and dedication you show to all of God's children."
Lynne B., Missouri
"This was our first year of homeschooling. Our son just finished the fifth grade, and I want to say thanks to Alpha Omega Publications for being part of this wonderful year and for providing the great curriculum that equipped us with the tools we needed. What an adventure! God has blessed us richly through your company. Thanks so much."
Michele T., Arizona
"I have been homeschooling for seven years and have used curriculum from AOP every year. I started with it when my two older children were in preschool and kindergarten. I am now homeschooling four children. It is so nice to know that AOP is there with so many great products to make my life easier as a homeschooler! Thanks, AOP!"
Angela O., Minnesota
Compare Offerings: K12 versus Alpha Omega Publications
- K12 Independent Consumer Direct vs. Monarch
- K12 Independent Consumer Direct vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- K12 Independent Consumer Direct vs. Horizons
- K12 Independent Consumer Direct vs. LIFEPAC
- K12 Independent Consumer Direct vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
- K12 Teacher-Supported Consumer Direct vs. Monarch
- K12 Teacher-Supported Consumer Direct vs. Alpha Omega Academy
- K12 Teacher-Supported Consumer Direct vs. Horizons
- K12 Teacher-Supported Consumer Direct vs. LIFEPAC
- K12 Teacher-Supported Consumer Direct vs. Switched-On Schoolhouse
* K12 is the registered trademark of K12 Inc. Alpha Omega Publications is not in any way affiliated with K12. Alpha Omega Publications' purpose with this page is to provide information to families who are considering the different aspects of homeschooling curricula or who wish to compare the benefits of using both curricula. Alpha Omega Publications' products and services are not endorsed or sponsored by K12.
Note: Information in this chart was gathered in June 2014 and was obtained from company websites, catalogs, research of rating companies, and publicly filed information. Comparison categories do not encompass entire curriculum features and benefits and may not apply to all situations.
**Prices obtained June 2014 from the K12 website and from Alpha Omega Publications 2014 Homeschool Catalog. Yearly prices based on comparison between the Monarch 5th Grade 5-subject set and direct purchase of four 5th grade core courses plus all required materials (including volume discount, but not including activation fees). Individual subject prices are based on comparison between costs for Monarch 5th Grade Math and direct purchase of K12 5th grade math plus required materials. Costs do not reflect any additional fees or shipping and handling charges. Prices for other K12 and Alpha Omega Publications curricula and services can be found on individual comparison pages. All prices are subject to change.